I have finished my first project in “Home Decor by Faith,” and I must take a minute to give thanks to God my Father and my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ for blessing me in the area of art. It was in high school that I was first exposed to art, music, sewing and cooking. I have carried the love of these arts with me all my life and I thank God for that. I did not go on to further education in any of these areas, but that drop was enough to spurn my desire to teach myself (with the help of the Holy Spirit, who I would consult with often), what I did not know.
In my poverty, I found opportunities everywhere to express myself. If I had a hole in my wall, I covered it with a handmade painting of whatever I could find, even left over wall paint. If my sofa showed signs of extreme wear, I found a way to make a cover for it. If I needed a door, I concocted one out of some discarded material. As a matter of fact, as I look around my home, I could honestly say it is almost all “homemade.”
I believe everyone is blessed with some ability. I pray everyone finds theirs. It is sooooo rewarding.
Whew! I am singing praises, thank you Jesus, this morning. I have finally finished construction on this unique, what I am calling a, “display/message center.” The next step is to paint it. I am divided between wanting to do a chalkboard paint application, but as I’ve read other posts, I am wary of having to do any waxing. The other option is to just paint it with some latex paint and seal it. I already have a gloss latex paint in a color that I like. Decisions, decisions.
I started out with a footstool that someone sat on and broke. Then I thought this wood is too good to throw out, so I deconstructed it and added two old wood displays I had in the basement… I could do something with these. So I got out my tools: a jigsaw, a small drill for holes, and a big drill for cutting big wood pieces, a sander, hammer and misc screws and glues and got to work. I had to add other wood for stability. I also had to add a fourth piece, another old footstool, to get the unit up off the floor. It is now about 6 feet high. You might think I got carried away, and you’d be right!
Unfortunately, the very top and bottom of the picture above was cut off during import. I hope I can get the whole thing in when you see the finished product in my next post, I need to move on from this project as I have more ideas swirling around in my head.
Finally I can get back to my storage/display/wall dividre/woodworking project. I was hoping to be further along; instead I entertained family members over the weekend. We had a great time. We talked about everything under the sun. We had a movie marathan, I baked four (4) zucchini breads (the zucchini was donated and I had to do something with all that zucchini), and cleaned the house. Lastly, when everyone was gone, I took one day off and did absolutely nothing.
One family member had mistakenly pulled down my makeshift ceiling light and today I updated it and put it back up. With whatever items I had around the house, I made the light using a light kit, a plastic clothes hanger, and an acrylic tube covered with a piece of window privacy covering.
If nothing else happens I will work on my project today!
I always have a lot of misc. wood pieces around and I am thinking of a project. (It seems a waste not to do something with it.) So by the grace of God and a little inspiration. I will see what I can do with these three pieces. It looks like it could be some kind of display for small items, or perhaps a room divider. Come back to see the finished project.