I have finally finished my first project on this blog. I have in previous
posts shown the beginning of what I had to work with – three miscellaneous wood pieces – and my intention was to marry them into a new functional piece. I did need to add a fourth piece, an old footstool (seen at the bottom), to raise the unit off the floor. It ended up being about 5 ft. 4 in. tall.
I have always wanted to try chalk paint and here was a good opportunity. If I messed it up, it would not have cost me anything as everything I used, I already had. I looked around online and at other blogs and found a recipe I liked (1 part plaster of paris, 1 part water and 2 parts latex paint) This worked great and with this single recipe, I was able to paint all the corners and undersides of this piece. I love chalk paint.
I didn’t want to work with the wax, and this is not fine furniture, so I
put a coat of polyurethane over it. I did a bit more detail by cutting black and white card stock to decoupage the base. I also sandwiched some cardboard topped with cork board in the small square at the top to make a small pin-up area. I left the one flat space in the middle blank and painted it in with chalk paint in black.
I think it came out very well. Now I only have to think about where to put it. Oh well, it was fun to do.
P.S. I had about a tablespoon of black chalk paint left, so I went
around my craft room painting any and everything I could with the left over paint.